When a customer makes a payment using a credit card, the payment information needs to be captured and sent to their bank for processing. You can capture payments manually or automatically. If you set up manual capture, then you'll need to capture the funds for each order from the Orders area of Pisell. If you set up automatic capture, then you'll need to make sure that you receive the funds from credit card payments.
If you are capturing payments manually, then you will have to capture the payment for each order before the authorization period for that order ends. You won't be able to collect any money for an order after the authorization period ends.
On this page
Capture payments manually
If you're selling in multiple currencies, then the currency exchange rate might change between the time of authorization and the time you capture your funds manually.
If you have configured your settings to capture funds manually, then you won't receive money from orders automatically. Make sure you get paid by capturing every payment as soon as possible after it's authorized.
The authorization period for capturing payment varies depending on your credit card payment provider. For example, Pisell Payments provides an authorization period of 7 days. You need to capture a payment within the authorization period to collect money for your order.
When you capture a single order manually, you can choose whether to take full or partial payment. You might want to capture only part of an order payment if:
- some of the order has run out of stock and the customer doesn't want to wait for the product to be replenished
- the customer has changed their mind or made an error, and they only want part of what they ordered.
To collect the deferred amount of a partial payment, you can send an invoice to your customer with a link to the checkout page, or you can accept payment for the order.
- From your Pisell admin, go to Orders.
- Click the number of the order that you want to capture payment for.
- From the order information page, click Capture payment.
- In the Capture Payment dialog, you can change the amount you want to capture by changing the amount displayed in the text box.
- When the amount is correct, click Accept to complete the payment capture.
You can see a record of the successful capture in the order's Timeline.
Make manual payment captures in bulk
To capture funds for multiple orders paid by credit card, you can do a bulk action on your orders to capture payment.